U.S. Army, Air Corps, 1942-1946
U.S. Air Force Reserve colonel, 1946-1972
Private practice, Cleveland, Ohio, 1948-1951, 1960-1969
Assistant attorney general, State of Ohio, 1951-1957
Director, Ohio Department of Liquor Control, 1957-1958
Judge, Cuyahoga County [Ohio] Court of Common Pleas, 1958-1959
City legal consultant, Maryfield Heights, Ohio, 1960-1964
Special counsel to the attorney general, State of Ohio, 1964-1968
U.S. attorney for the Northern District of Ohio, 1969-1970
Case Western Reserve University School of Law is one of eight schools at Case Western Reserve University in Cleveland, Ohio. The law school is known for its innovation in legal education and blending of practice, theory, and professionalism. It has a long commitment to diversity and admitted students of color in its first entering class in 1892. It was one of the first schools accredited by the American Bar Association and it is a member of the Association of American Law Schools (AALS).
It was initially named for Franklin Thomas Backus, a justice of the Ohio Supreme Court, whose widow donated $50,000 to found the school in 1892.
According to Case Western Reserve's official 2013 ABA-required disclosures, 58.6% of the Class of 2013 obtained full-time, long-term, bar passage-required employment nine months after graduation, excluding solo-practitioners.