Private practice, Seattle, Washington, 1932-1938
Superintendent, Seattle [Washington] Water Department, 1938
Assistant district counsel, Grand Coulee Dam, U.S. Bureau of Reclamation, 1938-1940
Special assistant attorney general, State of Washington/legal advisor, Gov. Arthur B. Langlie, Washington, 1941
Director, Department of Public Service, State of Washington, 1941-1943
National Association of Railroad and Utilities Commissioners, 1943-1949; assistant general solicitor, 1943-1945; general solicitor, 1945-1949
Justice, Supreme Court of the State of Washington, 1949-1956; chief justice, 1955-1956
The University of Washington School of Law, located in Seattle, was first organized in 1899 and is fully accredited. The current law building, William H. Gates Hall, was completed and occupied in September of 2003 and is located on the Northwest corner of the main University campus. The building houses classrooms, student lounge, a coffee/snack kiosk, locker areas, the Marian Gould Gallagher Law Library, and offices for faculty, administration, and student organizations. Financial aid, registration, and career service functions are run primarily as in-house operations. The building itself is fully accessible to persons in wheelchairs and is equipped with braille identifiers. William H. Gates Hall is a designated non-smoking area.